Greetings and Happy Summer!
Last Week the CVESD approved our LCAP plan for the coming school year and that plan includes a litany of benefits to our Camarena community. Here are the new materials and resources that your children will enjoy during the next school year:
Curriculum and Instruction
1. Library Materials. Every school will get $5K for books and DI schools will get an additional $5K for Spanish books.
2. Library Technology Technician (LTT) The district will fund more time for our LTT so that we have our librarian full-time, five days a week.
2. ELA Gap Materials – We will get money in English ($15K) and Spanish ($3K) to support Language Arts while we await adoption of new ELA materials in 17-18.
3. Go Math Textbook Purchase. This will be used to supplement our Eureka Math instructional materials.
4. Achieve 3000 – This will be purchased for every student in Grades 3-6. It is a tool to increase students’ access to non-fiction text.
5. SIPPS Training and materials for all teaches in Grades K-2. This is a reading intervention to support students not yet reading at grade level.
6. Resource Teacher – The Resource Teacher position will continue to be funded to provide support and coaching for instructional improvement.
7. GATE certification for teachers – The district is offering GATE certification for all teachers. Teachers who are currently in Grades 4-6 will have the priority since they provide direct services to GATE students.
8. Extended Day Tutoring will continue for students who are below grade level in reading.
9. Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Teachers for collaboration. We will hire 6 full-time VAPA positions that we will share with Hedenkamp Elementary , which means every student will get 1/2 day of arts instruction every other week for the entire school year. Here are the positions we posted:
Digital Media Arts (2)
We will use site budget or PTA money to purchase class sets of recorders, xylophones, and boomwhackers. What are boomwhackers you ask?
10. Lenovo Tablets – We are getting 150 Lenovo Yoga machines each of the next 4 years.
Social and Emotional Wellness
1. Social Worker on campus 2 hours/week (She also will have an intern for 8 hours/week). These folks will work with target students needing counseling services that can be provided both in class and via pull out.
2. Attendance Health – We received this 3 hour clerical support last year and it will continue to help us support the attendance and health needs of our 1050 students.
So enjoy those lovely days of summer in San Diego and rest assured that the CVESD is busily getting ready for a spectacular 2015-16 school year.